Chrissi Venier
04/07/17
Journal #5
WC: 349

What 2 communication theories have you witnessed during your internship? Explain the theories and explain your observations. For example have you had to frame messages a certain way? Or you have you dealt with misunderstandings that could be explained by symbolic interactionism?

During my internship, I have witnessed a few communication theories acted out in reality. Because internships require constant contact and open dialogue, there is a lot of room for communication theories to take place.

One of the communication theories I witnessed take place during my internship was Cognitive Dissonance Theory, or the theory that people actively attempt to change views that they have to avoid conflict with another person. I disagreed with a few decisions that my supervisor as made during my internship but because I know she’s the owner and ultimately the decisions are hers I stay quiet about some of my beliefs. But as time goes on I feel myself starting to agree with her decisions, not because they follow what I align myself with, but because it’s easier to avoid any kind of negative emotion when I pretend that I think something she does is a good idea. I can understand that she is taking ultimately responsibility for whatever goes on media connected to her name and its much easier to continue a professional relationship when you don’t have negative feelings.

I think that in most internships, Standpoint Theory is present. Standpoint Theory says that relationships follow a certain hierarchy and dependent on a persons position in the relationship they act accordingly. For example, my supervisor considers jobs such as asking for donations from local business owners and discussing their future involvement in the business as something that I should find simple to do. But these business owners typically prefer to discuss topics like where there money goes something to be discussed between adults. This is something I considered when that job was asked of me and I had a feeling they would rather talk to her. When I told her I only received two donations from all of the people I visited and that it might have been a better idea for her to join me she thought that was silly. But when she came along with me, we received many more donations because she seemed much more trustworthy as the owner of the business.