Chrissi Venier
03/22/17
Journal #4
WC: 316

What 3 classes have helped you prepare for this internship? Discuss in specific details, skills from classes you’ve applied in your internship.

The three classes that have helped me the most in preparing for this internship are: COMM 354: PR Writing, COMM 241: Media Writing, and COMM 350: Persuasion Theory.

My internship has been very focused on writing and creating materials to promote the business. COMM 354 has helped me to create a whole portfolio that I have used for job interviews and interviews for positions like the internship I have today. Without that class, I feel like I would have little/nothing to demonstrate what I have learned in COMM Studies so far. With a lot of the classes I have taken, I have retained a lot but most test scores or papers don’t exactly show progress like physical work samples do. Because of COMM 354 I knew how to write radio PSA’s, newsletters, and flyers way before my supervisor asked me to create them.

COMM 241 helped me work under pressure and be a very conscious editor. Often in that class we would have timed assignments and the pressure was on to have work fully completed and well done enough to post immediately. Sometimes my supervisor will ask me to complete an assignment as soon as possible and expect it by the end of the week. I’ve found myself becoming calmer and ready to work because of my experience in COMM 241. I also, because of our AP Style quizzes, have learned to pay much more attention to my work in post rather than simply skimming it.

COMM 350 helped me to work on long-term assignments without losing focus and learning how to create materials to subtly persuade my audience. Working on the final project over the course of the entire semester has taught me about prioritizing needs and making sure that I have a complete timeline for what needs to be done. I also learned what images/text best persuade an audience without being overtly obvious in an attempt. I also think working in a group setting in an important skill to have for an internship, though mine does not require that skill.