Letter to Senior Self

I have several goals for myself, and I am not sure I can complete them all within the time, but I want to try and do these before I graduate here at Longwood.

I want to open up and make lasting friendships. I want to meet the community a bit, or just enough to say “hi” to someone I enjoy meeting. Hopefully, you have more than one individual you can do this with, but these people do not have to be just students. They can be teachers you enjoy thoroughly or staff members you have somehow bonded with while at school. I do not know, but the result is to make relationships that have meaning to you. Some good ways to try and approach this challenge might be to join a club or event you enjoy doing. You’ll have to figure out what is here then, so start exploring.

Along with finding people, you enjoy being around is that you should be actively improving yourself as a person. One of the ideas that the Honors College talks about is service, and I believe if you open yourself up, you will be able to fulfill that idea pretty quickly afterward because you want to help those people. You will enjoy their presence enough that putting your selfish needs to the side will not be hard. The Honors College has also been sending out letters about service opportunities if nothing else becomes available to you. Maybe even the classes will help with this idea because they say that the work is different, and depending on what they mean, that could involve going out of your comfort zone. Essentially, I want you to open yourself up more like I said before and explore opportunities that interest you, even if it is a small interest.

As a student who strives for excellence, the idea of scholarship should appeal to you, so I declare a challenge to myself. This challenge is to keep a GPA over 3.5 and to achieve the Dean’s List every semester. I would say go for the President’s List, but I know how my mind works, and expecting a B or -A is fine. With that out of the way, I want you to find something that appeals to you; as I am not going to lie, I feel lost at the moment. I have entered the GAND Major, but I have no clue what to do after college. I am still considering my options, which is fine, but it is giving me considerable anxiety.