Session 4

Group goals/objectives to be covered: By the end of sessions, the group will demonstrate improved levels of empowerment as measured by the Multicultural Psychological Empowerment Scale for Saudi Women (MPES-SW).

• The group will discuss self-awareness
  • The group will learn and explore different dimensions of empowerment (i.e. self-efficacy and self-determination)

Brief agenda:

Icebreaker- 5 minutes

“Bill of Rights” Handout- 15 minutes

Break- 10 minutes

“I Need, I Want, I Deserve” Activity & Discussion- 30 minutes

Conclusion

Lesson plan:

Icebreaker (5 minutes): Have group participants go in a circle and name one thing that they would need if they woke up stranded on an island.

Explain to the group that needs are not always material. As humans, we have emotional needs as well, such as privacy, love, and respect.

Emphasize that needs depend on what we believe we deserve. Explain to group participants that there is a connection between self-esteem and the ability to identify and express your needs. Those with high levels of self-esteem tend to be more aware of their self-worth and confident when demanding that their needs be met.

“Bill of Rights” Handout (15 minutes):

Provide group participants with a printed copy of the “Bill of Rights” (reference Supplemental Materials) (Martens et al., 2008). Ask participants to highlight the rights that are most important to them. Go around in a circle and have group participants share at least one right they highlighted (allow roughly 15 minutes).

Break (10 minutes)

Activity & Discussion (30 minutes): “I Need, I Want, I Deserve” (Martens et al., 2008).

Ask group participants to complete the “I Need, I Want, I Deserve” handout (reference Supplemental Materials) (Martens et al., 2008). After the group participants have completed the handout, ask if anyone would be willing to share their answers and explain how they would achieve their needs/wants/deserved requests.

1. Are there any existing barriers that have discouraged or stopped you from achieving your needs, wants, or what you deserve?
    • If yes, explain.
  2. In doing the activity, did you notice any wants that you do not believe you deserve, or any needs that you do not believe are attainable?
    • If yes, explain.

Conclusion: Thank group members for participating in the session. Ask if any group members have any questions or concerns.

Resources/handouts/activities/materials needed:

• “Bill of Rights” Handout (reference Supplemental Materials)
  • Highlighters
  • “I Need, I Want, I Deserve” Handout (reference Supplemental Materials)
  • Pencils

Reference list for resources:

Martens, M. M., Viegas, P., & Mimoso, R. (2008). The Power to Change: How to Set Up and Run Support Groups for Victims and Survivors of Domestic Violence.