Journal Entry 1

Journal #1: Sept. 5th, 2021

For this journal, we were supposed to complete two assessments based on leadership skills. My results of the Leadership Potential assessment proved that I am in the middle range gearing toward the highest range of leadership potential. My results of the Managerial Leadership skills assessment showed that I am in the upper middle range for technical and interpersonal skills, however, for the decision-making skills, I ranged in the lower middle level.

Both of these results indicate that my leadership styles and skills show that I have the potential of being a good leader but still have areas that should be improved. For instance, the leadership potential assessment shows that I am capable of being a good leader. However, my managerial leadership skills assessment ranged in the average levels. For example, my decision-making skills need improvement because I can be very indecisive. This trait has negatively impacted me over the past years as I need to make important decisions for my future. Another example, my technical skills range higher than my decision-making skills but in the case of technology, mathematics, or scientific tasks, I need to continue to work to improve these because they may be beneficial to me later in the future. Lastly, for my interpersonal skills I ranged the highest, most likely because of my ability to communicate and listen effectively with others. 

My strengths include communication, active listening, empathy, accountability, and gratitude. These qualities are aspects of a good leader. My areas for improvement are problem-solving, delegating responsibilities, and creativity or inspiration. In addition, I have a tendency to be negative which would directly impact my problem-solving, creativity, and inspiration. In all, this applies to me as a future social worker because in both macro and micro levels, being a leader is important. Specifically for me, when working in mental health, I will have to identify resources, mediate conflict, and intervene in crises. Having these leadership skills allow me to help vulnerable clients and families in difficult situations.