LSTU work

About Me

My name is Samantha Chapman. I am a senior at Longwood University. I am a Liberal Studies Major with a minor in Sociology. I have an Associate’s Degree in Arts and Sciences, and have completed a week of Practicum experience. I have taught an Awanas class at Temple Baptist Church.

Longwood has shaped me to become the best teacher I can be with numerous education classes, a practicum, and advisors; who are committed to helping me every step of the way until I am employed in my field. My minor of sociology has taught me a lot about people, the way they think, the way they are, how different people are and how communities operate. I am not stopping here, I plan to continue and expand my knowledge by earning my Master’s Degree of Education so that I am the best for my future students.

I am striving to earn my teaching license hopefully before I graduate, if not my wish is to become a Teacher Assistant after completing my Bachelor’s Degree in May 2018 to get a feel for the classroom, before having my own while completing the requirements.

My dream is to become a role model and encourage my students to always do their best. I want to be a safe haven for my students who may be having hardship in their life or struggling in my class. I want all of my students to love school and have a passion of learning because of me. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was in Elementary School and it was because a teacher inspired me, let me grade papers and recognized my love of learning. I want my students to grow up and still talk about how much they enjoyed my class and hope that their children get to learn from me.

While in school I have worked a few different places to help pay for school. I have been a waitress, a cashier, a deli cook, an office assistant and a student worker for Longwood’s Dinning hall. All have taught me many lessons about the communities I was in and the different people I got to meet every day. I have probably met a million people throughout my working years.

I loved waitressing because I meet so many people and now have so many new connections thanks to serving. I have waited on many educators in the county that cannot wait until I graduate. I think being a server has taught me to have patience and knowledge to deal with different kinds of people. It has taught me to think fast under pressure and to work efficiently. I love training and helping the new servers learn and encourage them when they feel like giving up. I will do this with my students as well.

I have also worked at a convenient store, as well as a grocery store. Both have helped me learn that there are many kinds of people and your approach is key. Approaching my students will be key as well. I plan to teach Kindergarten, so I feel it will be my duty to start them off right. It is up to me to form their first opinion about school and education. In the work force they say ”the customer is always right” and I love that because my job at Food Lion is to do right by the people in my community. I am a people pleaser.

I will take this trait of people pleasing wherever I go. I will have to talk to parents of students, sometimes good, sometimes bad; being a server and office assistant has taught me how to speak to people politely and professionally while getting my information across to them.

No comments

The comments are closed.