Travel Experience

My family summer trip started in the summer of 2023. My family and I were traveling to Holden beach, North Carolina, a place we return to every summer. Before we left, I had to consider what I would pack. I brought your typical beach goer items including sunscreen, a hat, bathing suits, towels, etc. After contemplating if I would need to make room in my suitcase for anything else I decided that I indeed had everything I needed for the trip and packing anything else would be too much. After driving five hours and unpacking our things, it was time for everyone to do their own thing. Some of us were planning to go for a walk on the beach and others went to the grocery store. I didn’t know what I would do as I was already bored waiting for others to finish unpacking so we could do something interesting. After some time of debating, I decided I would go to the store with my Nana, in hopes the trip would be more interesting than waiting in the house all evening for others. After getting much of what we needed from the store my grandmother and I ended up in the book section. She asked me if I had brought a book and if not, did I want one? I realized after she asked, I had completely forgotten the one thing I always bring for my days at the beach. I had indeed forgotten the most important thing. I needed to have books! I began looking through the book section when I noticed they had a series I loved from when I was in middle school. I told my Nana I would love to reread the series again and she ended up buying me two of them, she made sure to tell me that if I finished those we could come back and buy the others. I knew I would be done with the first book by the next day, but I decided that it was a sweet offer and that even though it would be a struggle to make it back for more books I could make do with two books for the trip. Throughout the rest of my trip, I went through the books she had bought me crazy fast. This was not what I had planned as I wanted to make the books last the whole trip. I’d wake up, eat breakfast, then sit on the couch and read. As I would wake up excited for the day, but more excited to keep reading my books. When my family hit the beach, I spent almost the entire day soaking up the sun and flipping pages. I had gotten through the two books my Nana had bought me fairly quickly, so I did in fact have to go back to the store to pick up more. Throughout my trip I was reminded of my love for reading. The book series I had loved many years before had piqued my interests again and I was grateful to be out of the book slump I had previously been in. After my trip I went on to read more books I had read before as well as newer ones. It was what I like to call the summer of books.