Book Review

Back when I was in seventh grade, I was searching for a television series to watch. I came across a show called 100, it looked interesting, and I began to watch it. I really enjoyed the show while watching the first couple of seasons and I wondered if there were any books connected to the show. After doing some searching, I found out that indeed there was a series of books in connection with the show. I never ended up buying and reading the books till years later, my junior year of high school. The 100 by Kass Morgan, began publishing in 2013, is a young adult science fiction book. This is the book that my television series obsession led me to. Throughout the beginning of the book and later chapters of the 100, readers are introduced to many characters. These constant introductions are mainly because of the set-up of the book, the author Kass Morgan gives each character many chapters, these chapters rotate. You will hear from each character’s point of view by the end of the book.

The book begins three decades after a thermonuclear apocalypse on Earth. Survivors of this apocalypse are few and are living on spaceships that orbit the Earth. The new colony of the few survivors are governed by The Chancellor and all crimes, even small ones, are punishable by death. The book begins with one of the main characters, Clarke Griffin, a former medical student, who is arrested for a crime committed by her parents. She later confides in her boyfriend who happens to be the Chancellor’s son and he goes to his dad with her secret in hopes it would save her and her family but his plan backfires. A couple of years later, teen prisoners are sent to Earth to see if the planet is habitable. It so happens that Clarke and her ex-boyfriend Wells are two of the many prisoners sent. The group lands on Earth, in the United States. While each character has their quirks and is dealing with their own issues they must work together to survive and focus on the mission they were sent to investigate. With many stops and hangups their investigation leads them to a farm where they realize they are not alone.

I have never read a single book before this one that had the set-up of every chapter coming from a different character’s perspective. Most books you only get the perspective of the main character but what about the other characters. I think it is a unique idea and interesting concept of writing. This book kept me, as a reader, always on my feet and ready to keep reading. I found myself not being able to put the book down. The author had me wondering what was to come for each character and even left me on many cliffhangers. If you have never read this book and enjoy a good young adult fiction, I highly recommend you read this one, as it is truly one of a kind.