Reflection on Statistical Analyses

Throughout my time here at Longwood University, I have had an inclusive research experience. It started in the Fall of 2022, when I came into Dr. JoEllen Pederson’s class for “SOCL 345- 03/04 Social Research and Program Evaluation.” That class introduced me to research as a whole in ways that included developing a research hypothesis then including it in analyzing and developing a group to research which we ended up electing to study the “Family Fun Time Activities” in measuring child engagement with the parent throughout the variety of activities. Following the activities, the parents were given a survey to rate each activity which included both open and closed-ended questions. By analyzing the feedback and data in which we received as a class, it was eye opening. The reality of the time I had spent studying the possible outcomes within the basics of research compared to analyzing the feedback of a peer-prepared survey was outstanding.

The first class, “SOCL 345”, carried over into “SOCL 346-01/01 Statistics for the Social Sciences”, which was composed of the analytical and statistical side of the research/data. During my time in this class throughout my last semester here at Longwood, I have learned true value in the meaning of research and what it means to be a researcher. I personally learned how to operate what was called “R-Studio”, which is the coding program for data and statistical analogies. With learning this program by itself, I was introduced to something I never thought I would engage in throughout my college career, and I loved it. I learned how to run different inferential statistical tests on both R-Studio and “IBM SPSS”. SPSS was the other database that we as a class used to store, recode, and run tests on our survey produced data. It was one of the harder ones to master, but with persistent activities and practice, it was easy to master as well as guide throughout the classes “Statistics Manual”. The test we learned to run and complete included the Measures of Central Frequency, Z-Scores, Confidence Intervals, Independent Sample T-tests, ANOVAs, Chi-Squared tests, Pearson’s Correlation, and Regressions. All of which had to be practiced both with hand calculations in class and on our own outside of class on the programs we were introduced to.

In the Statistics class alone, I learned a lot of useful information that I will carry throughout my career and into the next stages of my career after graduation. The assignments that we had throughout this class helped me analyze the data and understand the true meaning behind the surveys and the need for the study. In this class, the “Statistics Manual” was a way that Dr. Pederson endorsed us with our own study guide with step-by-step notes taken throughout our times in her lectures/by-hand calculations. With this manual, I was able to keen in on organization with developing an organized manual to acquire a high grade for both the detail of the notes as well as the guidance of the screenshots and hand calculations that were also included.

For the bigger picture, this class has made me focus on research and consider it deeply within a profession upon graduating college. Throughout the introduction to different statistical equations, vocabulary, and programs, in the end it was all wort it. I have obtained the knowledge that I can now take outside of this university and apply it to society elsewhere, as well as possibly apply myself to bigger research studies. The programs that I have been introduced to throughout my time in this class have been and will continue to be helpful in analyzing and acquiring different forms of data and inferential statistical tests as well as recode different programs outside of the different equations we would run inside the classroom or for the prepared assignments.

In being organized and prepared in all aspects, you as an individual will set yourself up for the best outcome in every scenario. With this, being organized and prepared are two components this class stressed me on personally. In being organized, I have learned it is easier to remain stress free or better off mentally in not worrying where things are or when assignments are due. In being prepared, it’s about showing up to things on time with the tasks that you left previously with, completed to the bet of your sought out ability. When you begin your day organized and prepared, you will be more positive and ready to take on any task that comes your way. These are the key values that being involved within research and throughout this class have taught me in a bigger sense.

In the end, I will leave this school and class with much more knowledge than when I first stepped in the class back in August 2022. I will use this knowledge to obtain a job and possibly a career in research as well as apply all the learned vocabulary and other terms throughout conversations and position engagement within my future career. Not only did I learn, but I obtained the values of being organized and prepared. With all the knowledge I now have with different inferential statistical tests, being organized, and the true meaning behind research, I look forward to where my next chapter will take me within my professional career thanks to this class. I can confidently say that throughout my time at Longwood University, this class has taught me the most impactful habits, ways of listening, and attention to detail than any other class in my four years in undergraduate education.