About Me

Hello! My name is Caroline Merryman, and I am currently a Liberal Studies major with a minor in Children’s Literature. I am a Teacher Assistant at my local YMCA Preschool  and it is definitely where I belong. I am an expert in this field of study because I have been doing it for 4 years now. I have taken many classes through work such as trainings, and gotten many certifications, mostly online. I have also taken CPR/First Aid trainings through the Y. Even without these trainings, I still learn what works and doesn’t work with certain situations with children. Working with children is my passion, I love being apart of their growing experience!

As a teacher assistant, you learn to not only work with children but other staff and parents. I questioned going to school for teaching just because I hate conflict and I didn’t want to have to be that teacher that had to tell a parent that their child wasn’t doing well in school or that they were acting up. But I quickly learned that it is important for parents to know what is going on in their child’s life so that they can also handle the situation at home, not just at school. Communication skills are very important in all jobs but especially as a teacher. You also learn how to be understanding, which is very important because without this skill, it could effect your teaching in a negative way.

Leadership is also a huge part of my job. Being able to lead a class in a lesson is an everyday thing. It will help make the facility run efficiently and to the best ability that it can. Leadership can also influence that staff and children to do things as the best of their abilities!

While I came to college to become an Elementary Teacher, my plans have changed but I will get there one day. I plan to graduate and work as an IA (Instructional Assistant) and then eventually get my masters. I wish I could’ve done this another way, but as long as a reach my goal, even if I have to go the long complicated way, that is all that matters!