Research Reflection

Over the course of the semester the way in which I conduct academic research has changed. Prior to this semester I would spend countless hours on google trying to find credible sources. After spending multiple hours online and reading full papers I would find few academic resources that were credible or that would assist me with my research. Over the semester I have learned new ways to research that produce credible resources. I now utilize search engines such as google scholar and Jstore.

In order to select sources I have begun putting keywords in quotes as well as using “AND” when looking for phrases that must go together. For example when researching parental involvement and Head Start facilities I would type”Parental Involvement” AND “Head Start”. I have also begun to read the abstract, methods, and conclusion sections of a paper to determine if it pertains to my research. When deciding which sources to utilize I examined how their data and methods were conducted as well as their findings. If a study conducted data and methods similar to my own I selected it as a resource. After submitting the annotated bibliography I did not change any sources that were utilized in final assignment.

One challenge I encountered while completing my assignment was incorrect citation formatting. Prior to this assignment I was not familiar with APA format. To combat this challenge I utilized the Purdue Owl website, Citation machine, and my university’s student writing center. Another challenge I faced was finding articles that directly involved Head Start facilities. To combat this challenge I began researching Parental Involvement in preschool facilities.

Throughout the semester my confidence level about conducting research has increased. Prior to the semester researching often led me to be frustrated and exhausted. Previously I would spend multiple hours scouring the internet for resources and would not find many that would pertain to my topic. However, after completing this project I have found new ways in which to research and find resources. These new techniques allow me to feel more comfortable and confident when obtaining resources. I know feel that I am more prepared to complete future research assignments effectively, stress free, and with a new found confidence.

Thinking like a researcher involves gathering resources from a multitude of sources. Thinking like a researcher is not limited to collecting data and information for one study. It involves implementing the work of others to help shape your study. I also believe an individual is thinking like a researcher when they are considering the implementations of their study on a larger broader issue.