This research has shown me how reading on screen versus in print can affect a student’s rate and overall focus. During week two, I quickly discovered that my tutee enjoyed reading the text on a screen; it came naturally. I also observed that the student did not track on the digital text. When my tutee reads in print, she tends to fidget and becomes antsy. She will mess with the corners of the pages and wiggle in her chair while reading. However, when she reads on screen, she seems much more focused; less distracted. Reading the digital text helps with her urge to fidget. These actions greatly impacted my tutee’s rate. The more she fidgets, the more distracted she is and the more distracted she is the longer it takes for her to read. During week three, the student stated that she prefers reading the passages on my laptop. She started to realize that she reads faster on screen than in print. After coming to this realization, the student began asking if she could read on screen every week. During week four, my CT realized how much students prefer reading on the classroom tablets. After coming to this conclusion, my CT decided to give students more opportunities to read on the tablets. The students are now able to read on the tablets when they are finished with their work rather than just selecting a print book on the bookshelf.

In my future classroom, I plan to offer my students choice. I will give them the option to either read in print or on screen. I will request tablets, laptops, and/or computer monitors in my classroom for my students to use to read on. If there are limited resources in my school, I will advocate for my students. I will state the many benefits of students having the option to read on screen. I will bring in my research and discuss how reading on screen instead of in print helped with my student’s urge to fidget and ultimately helped with her rate in reading.

No Responses yet