Course Journal

At the start of class, I did not recognize anything about citizen leadership or what rhetoric was nor how it could be used in an argument. However, as the class continued, I began understanding the definition of rhetoric and the role it plays in an argument. Doing this journal entries ties heavily with the second-course learning outcome ” understand the nature of public discourse/debate as determined by purpose, audience, and context”. Reading Thank you for arguing by Jay Heinrichs has improved my understanding on public discourse/debate by providing me definitions of rhetorical tools. With these definitions, I was able to comprehend how individuals employ rhetoric in everyday arguments. In my journal entries below I explained some of the concepts that were read in the book. I used visuals along with my own interpretation in words of the concepts to display examples of how they would be used. When completing my journal entries I practiced rhetorical tools in providing examples of my understanding for assigned readings, which plays to the purpose and audience explained in learning outcome #2).  I also learned how to utilize these rhetorical tools for future writing that is displayed in the subsequent pages. The journal entries were not challenging for me, so the correct format that I was using for the journal entries was learned through the example Dr. Guler provided the beginning of class. My favorite part about the journal entries was being able to discuss the chapters during class and communicate with other classmates ideas, which related to learning outcome #1).

Loader Loading...

Download [479.74 KB]