one & sixteen. the more you know, the more you see.

Welcome to Longwood Blogs. This is my first post. Let’s get blogging!  

I have created this blog for my COMM 340 class, Visual Communication. It’s all about theory and analysis of human perception, stereotypes, color, and principles of design. I will apply learned theories to various print and digital media. I am so excited and thanks for joining me.

We learned about literal and symbolic components of an image. What are those? Literal components are just that, they are what you see, literally. There’s no inference or assumptions, that’s the symbolic part of a visual. It’s what you think you see, what the photo wants, or doesn’t want, you to see.As you can see, quite literally, these are pieces, looking like pawns from a chess game. That’s what I saw at first. You see that they are on the ground, they are all the same color and shape.

As for the symbolic components, I see a person standing out from a crowd of people that are all of the same. I see someone that is breaking off and being free, they are being judged and stared at. I see a bunch of people in robes. There can be so many meanings behind this photo.

WHAT DO YOU SEE??? 

2 comments

• Adriana on February 7, 2018 at 6:03 pm

In fact, this is a very important issue and we must take it very seriously if we are to make any difference in the world.

1. What exactly do you see as the issue?

Comments have been disabled.