Evaluate Data and Draw Conclusions

In order to process information gathered during research. As a medical laboratory scientist, data retrieval and analysis is something I will have to process successfully and accurately. In order to practice these skills, Longwood Biology and Sciences incorporated both group and independent research environments. The most exciting portion of this learning style was the ability to shape methods to what we as researchers thought would most accurately fit the circumstances we were faced with. From these experiences, I feel that I have adequately improved in both problem solving in addition to gaining research practice and laboratory skillsets.

In Document A, I worked with my group to evaluate a microbiological analysis of Longwood University’s water quality at a very basic level. In Integrative Intro Biology (BIOL 120) I was formally introduced to plate-style microbiological assays that I had earlier experience with in high school. With this prior knowledge, I worked closely with my team, educating and improving my skills of laboratory analysis. With a question and an intention, the experimental design was entirely our choosing and it was influential to gain group work experience with another set of individuals and learn what kind of knowledge level my peers would be working with. Although I felt my group members understated the importance of our results, I do find that the research we observed showed clear differences in water quality and the efficacy of filtration. To view more about this project, please view Document A below.

In Document B, I evaluated the data of other published works in order to characterize an ongoing issue in the real world. In my sophomore seminar, I worked on a review paper that summarized five years worth of study. In high school, I grew a research interest for the importance of water filtration on the environment, surrounding organisms, and the impact on humans of pharmaceutical effluents. This review allowed me to analyze all the data presented to me in a variety of format and understand what the data was all saying. These findings and this work was one of the most complete projects I have ever had the privilege of researching. I was able to thrive in my first truly independent study and I a excited to see what kind of work I can complete next when truly left to my own devices. To learn more about this work, please view Document B below.

In Document C, I worked with a group in my Immunology (BIOL 404) to properly diagnose a standardized case study patient. This presentation was created in order to present data and analysis at the Spring 2023 Research Showcase. I value the skills I learned through this evaluative process above all other classwork of this nature as it most closely aligns with the practices I can predict working with on my rotations at the INOVA Fairfax Medical Campus. By working on this diagnosis with my team, I was able to learn not only how to evaluate the data I was working with independently, but I was able to gain more insight from my friends about how they viewed the data and what conclusions they were uniquely able to draw as well. To learn more, please view the presentation in the Document C section below.

Document A: Bacteria in Filtered Water

Document B: A Review of the Consequences and…

Document C: Diagnosis of an Immunodeficiency

"Chance is the first step you take, luck is what comes afterwards." -Amy Tan