Effectively Communicate to a General Audience

Longwood Biology has encouraged me to build presentation skills and communicate complex science terms effectively to non-biology and even non-science members of society. Communicating with non-science professionals is key to applying biology and other sciences to the greater positive aspects of society. Within my tenure, I have presented and written with the intention of conveying the influence of science to greater society.

Document A is a satirical article outlining a fictitious conversation between a policeman and my Intro to Ecology and Evolution (BIOL 251) professor outlining our research through a fake police report. By employing skills I learned in English classes, I indirectly conveyed information in a way people would understand by outlining how my professor would relay this information to a non-science professional; in this case, a policeman. To learn more about this piece, please view Document A in the section below.

Document B is a slideshow crafted for the 2023 Showcase. With my group, we aimed to ensure that non-STEM individuals at our showcase presentation would be able to communicate our Immunological concepts to other people. Because of the depth of detail in Immunology (BIOL 404) it was difficult to comprehend how someone with little to no biology background would be able to take in the information, but with proper feedback and instruction from our professor, we were able to provide adequate contextualization and construct a good, academic flow. This presentation was directed at an educated, professional audience, so it was easy enough to build off of the understanding we were at in our freshman year of college. To learn more about this presentation, please view Document B below.

Document C is a “general audience” directed rendition of the research paper I previously conducted reviewing the consequences of inefficient chemical wastewater filtration. With the original paper being far more biology and STEM-professional oriented, it was much more clear of a distinction. When simplifying complex concepts, it was interesting to communicate with my non-STEM friends and see what feedback they gave that would better help them understand the information. With communication like this, I better build the skills to move forward with my career and pursue patient-facing care, simplifying their symptoms and conditions in a way that isn’t frightening. In order to learn more about this document, please view Document C below.

Document A: Eco/Evo General Audience Submission

Document B: Diagnosis of an Immunodeficiency ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‎

Document C: Could your Bathwater Contain Drugs?‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

"Chance is the first step you take, luck is what comes afterwards." -Amy Tan