Portfolio Reflection 2: Methods

Step 1: Create a page in your E-Portfolio where you list out the different courses that you took that dealt specifically with methods. For each of those courses, write down some key concepts that you learned from that class.

Social Research/ Program Evaluation:

• Recognize different approaches to hypothesis testing and comprehend the core aspects of science
  • Create sociologically related research questions and hypotheses
  • Identify the importance of various forms of validity and reliability in research
  • Make a distinction between qualitative and quantitative methods
  • Determine the best methodological approaches for a specific problem
  • How to evaluate multiple forms of data

Statistics for Social Sciences:

• Describe the key attributions of social statistics
  • Calculate statistical data and create tables and graphs to summarize numerical results.
  • Using both hand calculation methods and computer program systems to perform data analyzes
  • Utilize Probability Theory to test hypotheses in research
  • Identify the appropriate statistical technique for different research questions and data by explaining the differences between various statistical methods.

Step 2: From those classes find three papers that you wrote that reflects learning that you did in those classes.  Discuss how you think your writing about methodology has changed over those three papers.  You can talk about how your writing has become more sociological, the structure of your writing, or your writing ability in general (250 words)

Prior to enrolling in these two courses with Dr. Pederson I wasn’t experienced with writing about statical analyses and was somewhat intimidated by the task. However, I was somewhat familiar with writing in an APA format which assisted me with the reports I had to document. With Dr. Pederson’s aid I was capable of learning how to present all the information I gathered from surveys that I and the class not only created but also distributed to families that had children enrolled in Farmville’s Head Start. Learning how to explain the findings of our research project was an initial challenge for me but as time lapsed I improved a great deal in the way I structured my statistic papers.  

Regarding my writing style, I saw a great improvement in the way I articulated and presented my findings. Being able to use a thesaurus, getting feedback from the instructor, and proofreading my assignments all allowed me to grow as a sociological writer. As frustrating and time-consuming writing annotated bibliographies were, they helped me with finding the proper sources I needed to conduct research about the parental involvement of families enrolled in Head Start. The formal structure of most of my statistic papers were required to be in APA format.

Learning how to write in APA format proved to be challenging at first. There are formal requirements for citations, regarding capitalization, and indentations. The main issue I ran into was determining punctuation after an in-text citation. I occasionally misplaced the period, which cost me points off on my final grade for the assignments. After learning from my mistakes and receiving feedback I was able to refine both my writing style and format. 

Step 4: Utilizing your industry reflections, how could you use the skills and knowledge learned in your research methods and statistics courses to help you perform the duties of the job you are seeking? (250 words) 

To consider why the material in my statistic and methods class was beneficial, I must relate all that I learned to the career I want in the future.  I intend to start my career as an elementary school counselor or child therapist after I graduate from grad school.   Knowing how to use SPSS and RStudio would be essential for any research opportunities that might occur in both fields.  Having my previous knowledge of how to conduct ethical research as well as test and analyze its findings would also be very beneficial for both positions. 

It would also save time when beginning training for any research projects that might take place during my professional career. From a sociological standpoint, the ability to practice logical thinking during these research studies will allow for positive change in our society that everyone would be able to benefit from. Once the problems in our society are identified, progress allows for the discovery of strategies to promote the needed change in our ever evolving society.

We encounter statistics on a daily basis. We rely on it for information about the weather, healthcare, and other sociological aspects. Statistics are used in many different sectors, which emphasizes how crucial it is to understand them. There is also the chance to impart knowledge on the subject of statistical analysis. Increasing consumer understanding and raising awareness of issues that, hopefully, will change in the future are two benefits of doing this. I aspire to be an associate of great change in the world because I know that my generation is radical, and change begins with us.