“You cannot make people learn. You can only provide the right conditions for learning to happen.” -Vince Gowmon
We would like to welcome you to the QR Center at Longwood University and hope that you will find your time spent here helpful and rewarding. We do ask that you keep the following in mind while utilizing our services.
ALL TUTORING SESSIONS TAKE PLACE IN THE QR CENTER, BROCK 101.
Tutors expect that you will…
- Come prepared with all necessary materials (i.e. class notes, assignment guidelines, textbooks, laptop, calculator, etc.).
- Be an active participant in the tutoring session.
- Be as specific as possible about what you are hoping to achieve in the tutoring session. Ask questions and listen to suggestions.
- Attempt your homework on your own before bringing it to a tutor to help; a tutor cannot do your work for you. They are also not a substitute for attending class.
- Be patient and considerate of each other’s needs and work as you will most likely be working with a tutor who is tutoring other students at the same time. We cannot guarantee one-on-one time with any tutor, but can guarantee that tutors will do their best to help you.
- Help us maintain a positive learning environment by keeping distractions like noise, cell phones and food to a minimum.
You can expect that tutors will…
- Be punctual, supportive, and professional.
- Answer questions to the best of their abilities.
- Work with you but not for you.
- Be knowledgeable about other available resources to assist you, or offer to find resources for you to the best of their ability.
- Set clear expectations about the session and encourage you to be an independent learner.
- Offer a positive attitude and be respectful of your diverse perspective and learning style.
- Not correct your homework, projects, or take-home exams. They will provide useful comments and suggestions to help foster independent learning.
- Not try to predict what your grade will be on your assignments and cannot speak for your instructor. Please ask your instructor for any clarification on an assignment or a grade.
We are here to support you in your educational endeavors in any way possible. Please speak to the director of the QR Center, Dr. Shilling-Stouffer, if you have any questions or concerns. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.