Hello! My name is Payten Bovat and I am a rising senior at Longwood University. I major in English and have a concentration in Professional Writing. I work at the Longwood University Writing Center where I have been a consultant for one year now. In Spring 2021 I took ENGL 470: Professional Writing with Dr. Elif Guler. I discovered my love of writing my senior year of high school and have loved continuing my education where I have learned valuable information about the different techniques and styles writers employ.
As the final project in ENGL 470, I was tasked with compiling an ePortfolio of all the documents I have produced this semester and writing brief reflections on each assignment. A few of the genres I learned about include memos, brochures, professional recommendations reports, TED Talks, and more. This class significantly enhanced my understanding of the importance of the different modes of writing in the professional workplace. I will use the invaluable skills I have learned during this course and apply them to my career where I will hopefully be working in the field of book publishing.
1) analyze and produce writing genres according to the rhetorical situation of workplace contexts
2) create professional documents that use plain English principles (to targeted audience)
3) conduct research to create content for a variety of professional documents (memos, letters, reports, etc.)
4) create professional documents that use design principles
5) practice oral communication skills to present content effectively (enhanced with multimedia tools)
6) participate productively in collaborative projects.