Research Memos

These memos follow my research and observations within my 1st grade classroom this semester. While some are linked directly to questions raised by my tutee, some are inspired by working with my class as a whole, and others are inspired by conversations and experiences with my CT (Cooperating Teacher). My memos differ in content, but all relate in some way to fostering learning engagement. I focused a lot of attention this semester on how I could foster a love for learning language arts in my tutee, while also nurturing his love towards himself.

At the end of each session, I made it my goal to ensure my tutee left feeling good about something he’d accomplished. My ending research question, rooted in the use of the senses, was inspired most of all by discovering what made my tutee smile. When his face lit up at the sight of paint, or his laugh echoed through the halls when I spilled shaving cream all over my navy blue blouse, or he jumped around our work desk while eating a sight-word cookie, I knew that the learning I applied in his lessons was making a difference. The articles I chose, the data I collected, and the insights I drew all made this possible. The memos I chose to include here aren’t the longest or neatest ones I wrote this semester; I chose to include the memos that helped me to experience “aha!” moments with my tutee.