Evolving Research Question

How does incorporating the 5 senses into literacy activities increase engagement levels?

My research question has changed drastically over my time in the classroom. I began with a question revolving around the interests of my tutee, moved to one questioning broad engagement levels, and ended with one relating the senses to his engagement levels. Originally, I related all of my activities and readings around turtles. While this got him excited and increased engagement, after the first two weeks, I struggled to find turtle-related materials that fit the lessons I needed to complete with him.  Because “turtles” is the only answer he gives when questioned about what he likes, I hit a wall. I then focused my question broadly on engagement. While I looked into this, I uncovered that timing his activities helped him to stay on task. He liked to compare his times across days, and I started writing down his times to share with my CT. I decided to narrow in my question on sensory engagement after he expressed interest in the sensory room at our school. I began to incorporate more sensory manipulates such as shaving cream, paint, koolaid powder, snacks, and visualization activities.