Hello, my name is Laura Panak and I am a senior at Longwood University. I am a Communication Sciences and Disorders major with a minor in Business Administration. I decided that I wanted to attend school to become a Speech-Language Pathologist because when I was a child I attended speech therapy to correct a common speech impediment. I also was then asked by a family friend to help her child with the same speech impediment. While helping this child I gained an appreciation for speech therapy. For the past three years, I have been a personal caregiver to a child with Autism. I provide him and his family with additional daily support. I attend his speech therapy sessions and have observed his speech therapist work with him on reading comprehension, spelling, and conversation skills. After graduation, I plan to attend a Speech-Language Pathology Master’s program.
This ePortfolio has been created as my final exam for my English 470, Professional Writing Skills, course. The links at the top of the page will take you to the different writing assignments I had to complete as requirements for this course. Each page has a reflection on what I learned and the course outcomes these assignments achieved. Class activities have helped me understand different writing genres. With the understandings of these different genres, I believe I will be able to effectively write professional letters and reports in my future as a Speech Pathologist.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Analyze and produce writing genres commonly found in the professional word (e.g., business, gov., media);
- Created professional documents that use plain English (clear, concise, and grammatically correct);
- Conduct research to create content for a variety of professional documents (memos, letters, reports, etc.);
- Created professional documents that use design – standard formats, layout, use of graphics, etc.
- Practice oral communication skills to present content effectively (enhanced with multimedia tools);
- Participate productively in collaborative projects