Why I want to be a Teacher

Ever since I could remember, I loved being physically active. My favorite school subject was always P.E. and I would count the minutes until I would be back in the gym. This passion only grew with age as I progressed through high school when I took an advanced P.E. course and met my teaching inspiration, my teacher Mr. Berggren. I wanted to be like him in the way he could teach us simple steps to live a healthy lifestyle.

I got my start in sports when I was 6 years old playing for a recreational league team, and my love grew from there. 14 years and several travel teams later, I was a starting midfielder for a Division 1, State-Ranked team. I played competitively until I graduated high school, but the game still is held close to my heart. I plan to coach and help kids fall in love with the sport just as I did.

The summer before my junior year of high school, I got a job working at a summer camp with a group of 26 rising kindergarteners. I would come home from work and tell stories of all the hilarious quotes from my kids. At the time, I began working on college applications, and answering the important question, “What do you want to study in college?” I pondered on it for several weeks until it hit me: I could put my two passions – working with kids and sports. Learning to become a P.E. teacher was the easiest choice I have ever made.

As for my future students, I will make my class as fun and enriching as possible. I will teach ways in which you can become physically fit and go on to lead healthy, active lives.