Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County by Kristen Green – 3 stars

November 29th, 2015

Hello again FYRE Committee,

•  Positives:
    • I like that the book is specifically about PE County and the Farmville area, I think that this could be a draw for our students to read the book.  There are some historical references that our students are not always aware of (even if an LSEM class goes to Moton)
    • I appreciate that this book would provide a version of history for our students to consider.
  • egatives:
    • I’m concerned that having first year students read this book prior to stepping foot in PE County could setup some misconceptions. (Since the book is one person’s account of her family living in PE County)
    • Compared to other books I have read (notably Boys in the Boat) – I think there could have been greater research regarding the historical aspects of the book.

Overall, I appreciated reading the book. I could see this being an excellent book choice for an Engl 400 or GNED 495 course with upperclassmen who have lived and attended classes (since the years of attending Longwood would provide context for the students vs the blank slate our incoming first year students have when starting Longwood).

I could see Longwood using the book, however I’m not confident that FYRE is the best choice/avenue for the book.