Every Day

December 9th, 2016

As an avid fan of young adult fiction, I tried to ignore that passion and read Every Day critically, thoughtfully, judiciously. I considered whether “A’s” experiences would be unsettling or negatively received by a student (or a parent, for that matter), and ultimately decided the themes David Levithan weaves throughout the story outweighed any concern. To me, the heart of the story isn’t about romantic love as it a message about personal integrity, respect for each individual, and cherishing the experiences and opportunities life presents.

A’s age and mindset make the character relatable to the students. Many of A’s experiences could be a great springboard to discussing transitional concerns a first time student might have, such as meeting family expectations, making connections, and the consequences of reckless behavior. As for consequences, A’s decisions give the reader the opportunity to think about engagement and other perspectives than his/her/zir own.

I probably didn’t read the book critically enough, but I set high expectations. When I checked it out from Greenwood Library, a student work, a girl I vividly remember from New Lancer Days, said, “Every Day. I really loved (that book).”  I saw that as a positive sign. Moreover, I keep going back to one quote on page 320 (of the 2012 Hardback edition) from the book:

“If you stare at the center of the universe, there is a coldness there. A blankness. Ultimately, the universe doesn’t care about us. Time doesn’t care about us.

That’s why we have to care about each other.”

That’s a powerful message to send to our students, if they’ll heed it.

Overall: I’m not familiar with the rating system, so I’ll give it at least 4/5 Stars.

Laura