Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer – 4 stars

November 29th, 2015

Hello FYRE Committee,

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer – 4 stars

Over Thanksgiving Break I took the opportunity to read Into the Wild. I really enjoyed the book, a few reasons are listed below:

• The book is succinct at 200 pages.The book was very easy to read and each chapter is fairly short.
  • I appreciate that this book revolves around a main character (similar to our last two choices with Henrietta Lacks and Wes Moore)
  • The main character in the story is originally from Northern Virginia (and the hometown is referenced off and on throughout the book). I think there is something about this “local” person that could connect with our students.
  • The age of the main character (Chris McCandless) is just slightly older than our incoming first year students (the character is 24 when he dies)
  • As I read the book I felt that the character was having a “quarter life crisis” of sorts (or at least trying to find himself) and I think our students would relate well to this aspect.
  • I think there are quite a few themes that could be used for LSEM: self-discovery, family dynamics, what is wilderness, etc.

-Jen