Tips for a Successful Interview

Around this time each year, our peers are anxiously pacing around trying to figure out what they are going to say in their first interview.  Although this is an important aspect of obtaining a job, you have to remember that they are interested in you if you make it to that point.  Understanding that there is something about you that they want can make this experience a lot less stressful.  The interview is the time to show them the type of person you are and that you will be a benefit to their company.

Research

Now I know this is a common tip for most post-grab blogs, but that is because this is a vital tool to separate yourself out from other applicants.  Jon Youshaeni, in his article “12 Surprising Job Interview Tips,” stated, “In today’s world, content is key.”  If you go to an interview with simple facts you just Googled about the company, they won’t take you serious.  However, if you sit down and explain the history of the company and major deals and happenings that are currently going on, then you will grab their attention.

Know Your Resume

Although they have already looked over your resume, be ready to explain what is on it.  There is nothing worse than having an awesome resume, and come to find out half of it is fabricated.  Alison Doyle, in her article “Most Common Interview Mistakes,” explains how past experiences may be difficult to describe in detail, so be sure to review them before the interview so you are not caught off guard.  This is why it is also important to be honest in your resume, because they are going to ask you questions, and you have to be ready to answer them.

A “Never Crossed My Mind” Mistake

So after finding some articles for this post, I kept coming across a common mistake made in interviews.  This piece of advice was plastered EVERYWHERE.  Robin Reshwan, in her article “5 Tips for Instant Interview Success,” states, “Do not, under any circumstances, bring a coffee beverage to the interview.”  This could be a distraction and prohibit you from answering questions in a well thought out professional manner.  I know, at least for me, I always have a cup of coffee in my hand throughout the day, and it is almost done unconsciously.  Therefore, I feel I would roll into an interview with my morning cup out of habit, get rejected and never know why.  Reshwan did explain, however, that you can have a bottle of water with you because some interviews can take awhile and you may get thirsty.  Just remember to leave the caramel macchiato with skim and whip at home.

Although interviewing can be a stressful time, take it in stride.  This is your time to prove to your potential employer that you deserve the position.  Be yourself, because remember, they already liked what they saw in your resume, this is just the icing on the cake!

Comments

comments