COMM Students and Alumni Find Their Path to Success in Social Media Networking

By: Heather Waldo

It’s no doubt students everywhere have had to approach their school obligations differently this semester. During a student’s time in college, there comes a point where they begin looking into internships and then possible careers. Current and recently graduated college students have had to be more creative when finding these opportunities. Longwood University prides itself in helping to make each student a citizen leader. The Communication Studies department helps students develop the needed skills in order to accomplish this. These skills and qualities of students are needed now more than ever as they plan their futures during a pandemic. 

The journey of finding a career has definitely changed over the years. College students now have more means of communication when compared to their parents during their job searches. One of the biggest differences are networking abilities due to the internet and social media. Many recent graduates used these tools to find their current job.

Miranda Farley (’20) Digital Media concentration

For instance, Miranda Farley (’20), a Digital Media concentration, found her job by utilizing different internet platforms. “I would network by using LinkedIn regularly and engaging in the online communities with the Office of Alumni and Career Services.” Farley also mentioned other methods she would use to network during her time at Longwood. “I also attended the Communication Studies Alumni Panels. I would come prepared to ask questions and I would research the people who were attending. I started conducting informational interviews my junior year and that was really helpful! I learned a lot about what kinds of positions I was interested in and what skills I should develop and speak to when applying for jobs.”

Trevor Heath (’20) Public Relations concentration

Trevor Heath (’20), a Public Relations concentration, also used online networking strategies to help him post-graduation. “I monitor and stay active on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for both my personal and non-profits’ social media pages for one. While in college, social media was my best means of networking, and that has continued for me as I transitioned into the workforce. I highly recommend liking and following pages within the industry you wish to work in. Find people with jobs you would like to have or the companies that you wouldn’t mind working for and keep up with them on social media.” Heath mentioned he found his current job prior to the pandemic but was furloughed at one time. He provided advice for recent graduates who might find themself in a similar situation: “The best way to overcome the pandemic job hunt is one essential thing: to stay current in your industry. Each industry underwent, and still are today, the development of new practices and procedures to comply with best practices for COVID-19 along with finding ways to make themselves stand out amongst other businesses. If you keep yourself up to date on the current norms within your industry, you should be set.” 

Having an internet presence in today’s job search seems to be essential. However, that doesn’t mean all opportunities are limited to online interactions. 

Baylee Nunnally (’20) Public Relations concentration

Baylee Nunnally (’20), a Public Relations concentration, found her current jobs by making connections within her community. “I worked at Island Glow in Powhatan and Farmville for almost all of my college career and through meeting so many members of the community I developed connections in many career options. During the summer of 2020 I decided I would like to pursue real estate and I knew I had one local broker I saw frequently at the Powhatan location and asked her if we could talk about what it would take to get my license and to be picked up by a brokerage. Upon our meeting the next week she offered me a position in social marketing at the company until I got my license to sell.” You’ll notice Baylee mentioned multiple jobs; she is not only a student but also works at Village Concepts Realty Group and is the Content Coordinator for Powhatan Living Magazine. When discussing her role for Powhatan Living Magazine, Nunnally said, “This position was presented to me by the editor as she met me one time out in public and watched my Facebook posts for a few months. She knew I was graduating soon and had studied public relations which is what she was looking for. Beyond the writing, this position required someone who is passionate about the community, which if you know me you know I love my hometown. The connections I have made in the county since I was very young have become very important to the success of my position with Powhatan Living as it creates trust.”

Recent graduates have definitely had to adapt their networking strategies due to the pandemic. However, current students have had to make their own changes when looking for internships. A current junior took it upon herself to make her own opportunity. “I reached out to another office on campus and unfortunately, they didn’t have anything for next semester. So, the office reached out to admissions on my behalf. I met with Admissions Counselor Emily Gantt and we just discussed what I wanted to gain from this internship, and she was excited to work with me.” This student also provided advice for current students looking for an internship. “If opportunity isn’t knocking, build a door. I was waiting to see if campus offices offered internships, but I never saw or heard anything. Luckily, my advisor, Dr. Paal gave me the push to reach out to offices. I used the pitch letter method I learned from Dr. Fay’s class to write an email explaining my interest in working in Higher Education and what skills I have to offer their office. The department has great advisors, and our course work has given us most of what we need to succeed. Reflect on what you’ve learned and use the resources available.”

It goes without saying that students have been challenged from all angles this past semester. From finding internships and jobs after graduation, the process has not been easy. However, in the most challenging of times a person’s character can really shine through. When faced with adversity current Communication Studies students and alumni have risen to the challenges and overcome them. Part of being a citizen leader is being resilient which is what these students and all others at Longwood have shown. Even when things seem impossible, Longwood students always find a path to success. 

Comments

comments