BIOL 309 Reflection

Sage Church

Throughout the course of this class I have had to utilize many of the skills and concepts I have learned here at Longwood University, as well as learn a few new skills. This course has helped solidify some note taking and test taking skills, refresh biological concepts, as well as to teach me how to broaden my horizon and address papers to a wider audience.  All told this class helped bring together a lot of things for me as a Life Science concentrating Environmental Science major.

First, this was the most I have had to take notes and study in a long while. This was a good wake up call that these are still important skills to maintain. It was also important to do some reading and research, as well as to interpret data, which I also had not had to do much of this school year. This was a very helpful refresher going into having to write all my term papers this past month or so. 

Secondly, I had not taken a normal biology class in almost three years, and all those major biological and cellular concepts can be hard to remember. This class was helpful in that it was basically a built in review of those basic concepts, while expanding on them and applying them to plants.  

The final, and most impactful, thing I learned in this class was how to write a general audience paper. Being a science major all we ever write is scientific papers, and half of my classes my first two years here were focused on teaching us how to write a scientific paper. However, anytime I have to write something else I have to stop and think about it because all I know how to write is scientific articles. This general audience paper was a good learning experience because we were still trying to convey scientific information, just in a more generalized may. 

In conclusion, this was a good class for me to take at this point in my college career to help polish off some of the less thought about skills. This was an important learning experience, and interesting class as a whole.