Experiences and Achievements

Completed Courses

American Literature

• Achieved the skills of reading and analyzing different literary works
  • Explored the culture of past Americans

Public Speaking

• Learned to present narrative, persuasive, and argumentative speeches.
  • Gained exquisite communication skills.

Introduction to Media Writing

• Mastered AP writing style.
  • Achieved the ability to write like a journalist. Ex: Press releases

Spanish (2 semesters)

• Learned to have basic conversations in the Spanish language.
  • Had the opportunity to become more exposed to other languages and cultures.

Introduction to Women’s Studies

• Developed more of an open mind when it comes to different genders and ways of life.
  • Learned to comprehend things through several different perspectives and viewpoints.

Accomplishments

Dean’s List

This is the certificate I received after making dean’s list my second semester of my freshman year. Making dean’s list is something I strive for each semester I am at Longwood. My goal is to keep up my grade point average and continue to make dean’s list again in the semesters to come.

Published Press Release

Here a press release I wrote in my media writing class to advertise a fundraising event for Longwood University. My professor liked my work and chose to publish my press release. In result, it was sent out to several alumni of the Longwood Communication Studies Department via email, and they were able to see the work I completed and what I am capable of. Below is the email that was sent out.

Volunteer Work

Teddy Bear Run

Each school year, my sorority, Kappa Delta, throws our annual Teddy Bear Run at the Children’s Hospital at VCU. This is one event I hold very close to my heart. This event gives my sorority and I the opportunity to socialize with the children, and deliver teddy bears to each and every one of them.  Having the chance to volunteer and give back to those in need is extremely fulfilling and heartwarming.

Highway Cleanup

This is a photo of me and my fellow sisters of Kappa Delta. My sorority has the great opportunity to visit a highway two times each semester and clean up any trash that we can find. This is a good way of bonding with my sisters, while also getting the chance to give back to our community.

Vacation Bible School

This is a picture of my peers and I volunteering at my local church’s annual vacation bible school. This volunteer opportunity has given me the chance to put to use my love of planning events and test out my time management skills.