Concepts of Biological Science

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.longwood.edu/caitlinharris/concepts-of-biological-science-2/

1.1 Identify and describe the major principles of biology

Longwood University’s Biology program allows students to take numerous courses beginning with broad biological concepts and gradually having each course become more specific. For example, as a senior biology major, I have taken broad courses like Introduction to Genetics and Cell Biology and Introduction to Ecology and Evolution and upper level courses such as Evolution. …

1.2 Analyze critically and apply the major principles of cell and molecular biology

As a Biology major at Longwood University, our course curriculum is designed so that we have the chance to take courses from all disciplines in biology. One of the three pillars of the biology curriculum is Cell and Molecular Biology. This side of biology quickly became my favorite and where I tended to take majority …

1.3 Analyze critically and apply the major principles of ecology and evolution

Like I stated in the previous page (1.2), our Biology course curriculum is designed so that we have the chance to take courses from all disciplines in biology. While the next pillar, Ecology and Evolution, is not exactly my passion, I did take away a lot of important concepts. I began this pillar with an …

1.4 Analyze critically and apply the major principles of organismal biology

Organismal Biology is not only the study of anatomy and physiology but also their ecology and evolution. This is the last pillar of our Biology program where we have the chance to further our knowledge to courses such as Comprehensive Human Anatomy and Physiology I and then applying similar concepts along with previous Ecology and …

1.5 Integrate physics and chemistry concepts into relevant biological contexts

Longwood University’s favorite saying is that they want to help develop “citizen leaders.” One way I see this done for Biology majors is by providing us with the opportunities to integrate both physics and chemistry into some of the biological concepts we have already learned. Some students see this in biology courses that have integrated …

1.6 Apply knowledge of biology to one or more contemporary issues in society

While acquiring knowledge across many subdisciplines within Biology is important, it is also equally important to be able to use that knowledge to apply to contemporary issues within society. I believe that the Biology Department does an amazing job with this by constantly using examples of current issues through both lectures and labs to help …