Home

My name is Harper Ward and I am currently a junior at Longwood University. I am a Liberal Studies major working towards my teaching license for both elementary and middle school. I have a concentration in middle school English and I am studying for a minor in children’s literature. Since I was in kindergarten I’ve known that this is what I wanted to do with my life. In middle school I spent my second period volunteering in the guidance offices to learn more about how a school worked and to see if I would actually be interested in pursuing a career in the education system. In high school I took a class called Teachers for Tomorrow that allowed me to student teach at local elementary schools under the supervision of a licensed elementary school teacher. All of this made it easy to choose a major at Longwood and shows how serious I am about becoming a teacher. I believe that to be a teacher you have to be a person that your students can rely on and look up to, you have to come into work everyday loving what you do. I’m happy to say that I love teaching and I love English, I can’t wait until I get the opportunity to share my enthusiasm with my students and hopefully foster a lifelong sense of curiosity about the subject.

This is an ePortfolio for English 400 with Dr. Guler. It was created to showcase what I have learned in this class and provide examples of what I have accomplished. I believe that I have grown as a researcher in this class, my Common Good Project required a lot of research and careful reading of sources to find which ones best suited my topic. This ePortfolio will show how my writing skills have improved thorough the Course Journals. I have also become a better public speaker throughout the course of this semester. I have shown improvement in the articulation of my thoughts when answering questions during class, as well as improvement in the delivery of an actual speech. I have become an active citizen with an agency to begin enacting change through written communication. I have accomplished learning the course outcomes and feel as though I have a solid understanding of how to integrate them into my life. This class has improved my writing through practice and research and I am excited to use these skills in the future.

Course Learning Outcomes (to address in your reflective essay)

1) engage in the process of citizen leadership by investigating multiple perspectives on important public issues;

2) understand the nature of public discourse/debate as determined by purpose, audience, and context;

3) choose appropriate formats in writing for a variety of purposes;

4) analyze the effectiveness of their own texts and processes for specific rhetorical situations;

5) understand how the knowledge, skills, and values learned in general education are interwoven and interrelated, and how they can contribute to the process of citizen leadership.

About Anne Ward

Hi, I'm a junior at Longwood University.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.