Apr 05 2018 12:11 am

Posted by under Uncategorized

Post #6: Pentadic Criticism, Selections for Critical Essay #2

For my artifact, I’m going to be analyzing a PSA from the United States Food and Drug Administration.

Agent: Amanda Green, the young woman seen in the video.

Act: A girl signing a contract with a cigarette, leaving her friends to go outside and smoke. shaking her head, wishing she could stop.

Agency: Shows the “real cost” of smoking cigarettes by illustrating what Amanda is having to give up in order to maintain her habit.

Scene: A park, a restaurant, and an alley.

Purpose: To convince the audience that the “real cost” of cigarettes is not worth signing away your freedom to it.

Dominant term: The dominant term in this artifact is the cigarette. Every decision Amanda makes is with the cigarette in mind. One of the ratios is act-purpose. By seeing Amanda “sign” a contract with cigarettes, we see the “real cost.”

Critical Essay #2: For Critical Essay #2, I will be using ideological criticism to assess how the Twitter accounts of three of the most popular men’s college basketball teams of the 2017-18 season promote their brand: Duke University, the University of North Carolina, and the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. As a basketball fan, what won me over in supporting a team had a lot to do with the social media presence at the time. Looking at the brand ideology behind each account is fascinating, and I’m almost done with my rough draft.

Comments Off on Post #6: Pentadic Criticism, Selections for Critical Essay #2