Post 7: Mad Men Lipstick Scene

Information about Mad Men

Mad Men is a show that is about the culture of marketing and advertising during the mid-20th century. The show covers many themes such as capitalism, sexism, gender, and sexuality.

Rhetorical Situation

In this selected scene, it first shows a group of top executives discussing the new brand of lipstick. What is important about these scenes is that it is all men deciding what women should wear. What makes this scene very cringy is that they are testing the women with a room of mirror and the brand of lipstick is a coordinated area. It has a dystopian feel, with all of the female employees are sitting and following the instructions of a woman who has a clipboard.

The male executives are watching this as entertainment. One man, even asks one of the men if he could masturbate to the women putting on lipstick. It is very disgusting to see the men drooling at this behind hidden glass while women are innocently putting on makeup. For additional information, this show takes place before second-wave feminism, which was rising in the later 1960s.

This scene could be viewed by two different perspectives Liberal and Radical. Liberal for the opportunities that these women are not getting in this scene and the sexism that these men are showing by hiding and staring at the women lustfully. Radical is the obvious patriarchal oppression in this scene.

From a Liberal Feminist criticism standpoint, these women are not given much freedom for opportunities. Early in this scene, we see only men deciding what women’s makeup could look like. There are no women consenting to what they want to wear, the only piece of freedom in this scene is when one of the ladies asks when she wears makeup. When does she put her makeup and how does she decide what color to wear it with.

In the Radical Feminist criticism perspective, the differences between men and women are what defines beauty.  It follows that women must hold to a high standard of beauty by wearing makeup. Another important behavior in this clip is that women are looked on as inferior due to their innocent and sweet actions. Men are looked on strong and take action, women are viewed as inferior.

The implications of this artifact are that the writers of this series wanted to present the 1950’s and 60’s as not a great time for everyone. For women, it was a struggle to work in an office. There was no Title IX  yet, many women were sexually harassed or abused in the office. Another aspect that these writers wanted us to see is how we have improved thanks to feminism and other cultural reforms.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Post 7: Mad Men Lipstick Scene

1. James Conner says:

I agree with you with both standpoints that it could be liberal or radical feminist perspective. The scene itself speak volumes for what was happening around that time period and it also great that you acknowledge it in your blog. I think if you used this for your second paper you could expand of the time period more and probably it one more scene that could show another part of it.

2. Sara Holdsworth says:

Oh man, there is so much to unpack here. This would make for an extensive but very interesting paper. Obviously this artifact can fall into more than one feminist perspective, but if you were to do this for your paper, I would pick just one. This would be to avoid being to long and possibly trailing off.

• John Ward says:

Definitely, when I first wrote this scene was difficult to select which Feminist perspective to cover. So I decided to do two since it could be covered in both Liberal or Radical. You could even argue it could even be covered by the Cultural perspective. Thank you for your suggestion and constructive criticism.

3. Claire Baugh says:

I agree with the two perspectives you chose. In the 50s and early 60s, there was definitely a set back on the feminist movement. As a woman, it was uncomfortable to watch this scene. However, it does not prevent me from wanting to do my hair and makeup. It is important to note that women do not practice cosmetic hygiene for the approval of men but for their own self-confidence or artistic expression. Do you think that was the case here? Or did the writers of the show itself oppress women in this scene?

• John Ward says:

I think it is both. Some women like to wear makeup to attract men and some women wear makeup to improve and feel better. When I wrote this it was incomplete thought and it was not finished. I would like to recommend that you read my additional edits to the posting, I made a conclusion that answers your question.

• Amber Thomas says:

This is a really great artifact you chose for this perspective. Continuing Claire’s thoughts, I think if you were to do this for Critical Essay #2, you could talk more about how men controlled the beauty industry and standard for women as well as how today some men wear makeup because as Claire said, some wear makeup because it is a sort of art in itself. For me personally, it is also a quiet, meditative part of my morning routine, not just a way to make myself look better. You could say that women have acclaimed this oppressive part of our culture to be empowering.