As of July 1, the Gale/InfoTrac databases that have been provided to all state colleges and universities through the VIVA consortium will no longer be available.
We are pleased to announce that in their place will be 25 new EBSCOhost databases that cover similar areas and disciplines. We are excited about this VIVA purchase, which will provide access to more peer-reviewed journals plus significantly more coverage in the areas of business and education.
What is EBSCOhost?
You are familiar with the EBSCOhost interface through the following databases that the library already offers: America: History & Life, Art Abstracts (which replaces Bibliography of the History of Art), CINAHL, Communication & Mass Media Complete, ERIC, Greenfile, Historical Abstracts, International Political Science Abstracts, Medline, Library Literature & Information Science, LISTA, Mental Measurements Yearbook, PsycArticles, PsycInfo, and SportDiscus.
Which Gale/InfoTrac databases are going away, and what should I use instead?
- Academic OneFile (use Academic Search Complete instead)
- General OneFile (use MasterFILE Premier instead)
- General Reference Center Gold (use MasterFILE Premier instead)
- Business & Company Resource Center (use Business Source Complete instead)
- Business Index ASAP (use Business Source Complete instead)
- General BusinessFile ASAP (use Business Source Complete instead)
- Computer Database ASAP (use Computers & Applied Sciences Complete instead)
- Health & Wellness Resource Center (use Health Source: Consumer Edition instead)
- Health Reference Center Academic (use Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition instead)
Links or bookmarks to full-text articles in these Gale/InfoTrac databases will not work after July 1.
What new EBSCOhost databases will be available?
- Academic Search Complete
- Alt HealthWatch
- Associates Programs Source
- Business Source Complete
- Computers & Applied Sciences Complete
- Consumer Health Complete
- Economía y Negocios
- Education Research Complete
- Environment Complete
- Fuente Académica
- Health Source: Consumer Edition
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- Hospitality & Tourism Complete
- Humanities International Complete
- Legal Collection
- MasterFILE Premier
- Military & Government Collection
- Newspaper Source Plus
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Regional Business News
- Religion & Psychology Collection
- Salud en Espanol
- Vente et Gestion
- Women’s Studies International
Why is this change occurring?
VIVA, the Virtual Library of Virginia, is the consortium of nonprofit academic libraries within the Commonwealth of Virginia. Members include all of Virginia’s state-assisted colleges and universities, as well as 33 private, nonprofit institutions and the Library of Virginia. After careful consideration, VIVA decided to award a new contract for multidisciplinary and subject databases to EBSCOhost.
If you have any questions about access to or use of these new databases, please contact your librarian liaison or call the Information Desk at x2435.
EBSCO Publishing/EBSCOhost is the registered trademark of EBSCO Publishing.