About Me

Gladys, VA (2022)

Hello! My name is Kalista Decker, I am Senior at Longwood University majoring in Social Work. The place I call home is Lynchburg, VA, but Farmville, VA has been my home away from home for the past several years. Throughout my time at Longwood University, I have become involved in an abundance of organizations that have assisted me in developing my skills and values that will benefit me in my future endeavors.

My second year I became a resident assistant for Longwood University’s Residential and Commuter Life, and later on became the Head Resident Assistant for a university operated apartment complex. Through this opportunity, I have gained professional experience collaborating with peers, supervisors, and other Longwood faculty, and assisting/mentoring first year college students.

Johns Hall staff at Longwood University

The position allowed me to experience hands-on training for emergencies and crisis situations, including fires, tornados, earthquakes, shootings, hurricanes, suicide attempts, and other scenarios the organization has prepared me for. I have continuously used these skills throughout my social work journey.

Later my second year, I found a family within a sorority called Alpha Sigma Tau. Sisterhood taught me several of my core values, appreciation for others, and the importance of compassion and helping all of those in need. I found love for myself and joy for being in an organization that functioned as a well oiled machine and collaborated with other organizations. During my time in this sorority, I was elected into a position called VP of Growth, which organized the recruiting of new members and hosting open houses to grow the organization.

Alpha Sigma Tau- Zeta Tau Chapter at Longwood University

I was a member of Longwood’s only co-ed service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega- Alpha Alpha Omicron. This fraternity helped me develop in my leadership, friendship, and service skills. I find that throughout my experiences in this organization that I not only have enjoyed providing service to those in need, but that doing so will benefit me as a future social worker.

To learn more about my volunteer experiences, follow this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cLaRWMYsGhP1G-Gx4YNKTHGdK8QG5F0B2mTu4izvstw/edit

To learn more about me and my values, follow this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1flgayl_MowtzM1GqXX-S34CYiY7AjhFw6XhUlnn0KjE/edit

Have a lovely day!