Survey Questions

For this assignment, I had to restate my research question that I was doing research on this semester. Once I stated my research question I had to go back and analyze all of the research answers that were provided from the survey and find dependent and independent variables that correlated with my research question. The overall purpose of this assignment was to see how good and well written survey questions should be. Posted below is the completed assignment-

Restate your research question: 

• How are student’s attitudes towards online classes and how is it affecting their overall grades and GPA

What survey question will you use to ope rationalize your dependent variable?  

• The survey question that I will use to operationalize my dependent variable is “On a scale of 0-10, how confident do you feel in learning through online?” I picked this question to serve as my dependent variable because it focuses on the student’s specific attitude towards online learning and by a student displaying confidence and not displaying confidence it shows one of the student’s thoughts and attitudes towards online classes. Also, a dependent variable can best be described as the area of interest and in this study the student’s attitudes towards online classes are the main area of interest. 

What survey question will you use to operationalize your independent variable? 

• The survey question that I will use to operationalize my independent variable is “Which form of learning are you most involved in?” I selected this question to serve as my independent variable because it focuses on the type of online class that the student is participating in this semester, which has an affect on the student’s attitude, which is the dependent variable in my proposed research question. Also, an independent variable can best be described as known variables and are typically demographic variables and in this study the form of learning the student is involved in acts as the demographic variable. 

Using information from class, explain why these are good/well written questions Discuss best practices for survey research. 

• Based off the information we learned in class there are good and well written questions because they do not propose any bias, do not discuss any sensitive topics students would not want to talk about, they do not have double barrel questions to where the student’s would have to answer two separate questions within the same question, and last but not least the questions consists on simple and consistent writing. Also, one of the best practices for survey research is to pre-test the survey/ questionnaire. One wants to pre-test the survey/questionnaire because it sees if everything on the survey/questionnaire “works” and is appropriate.