Courses Taken

Sociology Race and Racism- In this class we learned the true definition of Racism and how it can and is used in society today. I wrote a paper on the hiring process within companies. Within this hiring process people that had certain names that were considered common to the predominantly white hiring committees were more likely to receive call backs for 2nd and 3rd interviews. My paper analyzed social structures that reinforced this.

Sociology 205 Deviance_ In Soc 205 with Professor Macdonald we learned about the different forms of Deviance and how it can manifest within a society. A specific paper I worked on was in response to reading the book “Dopesick” by Beth Macy. This book analyzed and told the story of the Opioid Epidemic. I then wrote a paper discussing key topics within the opioid epidemic, showing how Purdue Pharma played such a big role in the expansion of Oxi as a “safe” drug causing many to suffer from addiction.

Sociology and the community- In sociology and the community I learned the basics of how people interacted within the society. We analyzed social structures and institutions. One paper I wrote analyzed institutions within a rebuilding community in New York. We had to differentiate certain social structures and explain why one may be more important than the other. For example, I chose that a community center offering after school programs for adolescents was more was more necessary to keep kids off the streets.

Change this tagline :)