HONS 490 – Study Abroad

Over the past year, a lot has changed. Some of those changes were very life altering. One of the things that changed the most for me was my four year plan for graduation. Not only did my experience with COVID cause me to change my concentration, but it also cause some courses to be canceled. One of the courses that was canceled for me was The History of Mathematics (MATH 320) due to the study abroad component being canceled as well. However, in my eyes, this cancelation ended up giving another wonderful experience. Because of it, I got to take HONS 490. 

This course took place in the spring of 2021. It focused on group collaboration in which every group consisted of two American honors students and two Dutch honors students. We were tasked with comparing each others experiences with the pandemic and creating a social innovation to counteract a common issue we all faced. With the idea we developed, we then had to advertise the solution in several ways including an infographic and a podcast episode. 

For my group, we focused on the issue of communication. In both America and the Netherlands people have been isolated from the world and people have been restricted from making connections. As seen below in the infographic, we created YOUnite which aimed to connect the world again though an interactive social media app. 

This project was a very unique experience for me that I would take again if possible. The project taught us how to work and communicate with those in other parts of the world. It taught us how to use numerous technological platforms such as google meets. One of the most important things it taught me was the importance of understanding culture. I have never been outside of the united states. Because of this, I never realized how different other cultures are and how to interact with those of different cultures. Overall, this experience has taught me a lot of skills I will use in the future. 

Loader Loading…