Page 3: Movie Review

Inside Out Movie Review 

The movie Inside Out is about an only child named Riley and her experiencing a rollercoaster of emotions. The movie starts with Riley as a newborn and her parents enjoying raising her. She starts to find a passion for hockey and her parents encourage her to keep it throughout her adolescence. I noticed her parents were able to give their full attention due to her being their only child. It reminded me of how my parents were able to provide me with care and resources during my time in gymnastics. My extended family would always show up to my events and encourage me. Then, the movie continues with Riley being excited about their move to San Francisco, but the excitement quickly goes away once she sees the new house.  Riley attempts to keep her spirits up by spending time with her mother, but it doesn’t seem to work very well. I enjoy this part of the movie because her mother is trying to help her. Their being able to spend time together reminds me of the relationship between my mother and me. There are too many special memories to count when it comes to my time with my mother. Even in college, I spend special time with my mother. I text her every day and tell her about the exciting and boring things about my days at school. Even distant memories bring us closer together as a family. The upsetting parts of the movie can bring back good memories. 

When Riley’s emotions start to fall apart, it results in her having anger meltdowns. This part of the movie, especially their family fight scene, really shows how being an only child can be frustrating mentally. Since I’m also an only child, I can relate to Riley’s meltdowns. She is seen wanting to have time alone during the meltdowns. Being an only child, having alone time can be the most beneficial resource. The movie displays the downside to being an only child as Riley’s meltdowns cause her to make irrelevant decisions. She starts to distance herself from friends and self-isolates. I believe this part of the movie shows why people tend to believe kids tend to be more lonely if they’re only children. It’s hard when an only child has family issues because they don’t have a sibling to talk to. Moreover, at the end of the movie, Riley admits how she just wants to keep her parents happy by always trying to be happy. In all, the movie has many scenes that show the good and bad sides of being an only child. 

In closing, Inside Out has many relatable scenes that show Riley’s struggles and happy moments as an only child while dealing with her emotions. The movie starts with the advantage of her being able to have full attention to pursue her interests and hobbies. She even gets to spend alone time with her mother, which I can highly relate to with my mother’s relationship. Also, it shows the downside of loneliness with Riley having anger meltdowns after dealing with family issues and not feeling she has someone to go to other than her parents. She becomes lonely and starts to make bad decisions. This shows how being an only child can cause overthinking due to the lack of siblings. Overall, Inside Out is a great example of showing the mind of an only child, with the good and bad sides.