Introducing…

Hello everyone!

My name is Charleigh Kondas, and I am a senior English major here at Longwood University.

The purpose of this blog is to explore the foundations of the criticism of rhetoric, and all of the different theories the rhetoricians have come up with. Through these skills, I will begin to analyze text and speeches through a rhetorical lens, to further understand what the speaker is trying to persuade his/her audience to do, why there is a need for persuasion, and how effective the speaker is at persuading! Whew. 

I will be writing specifically about Neo-Aristotelian criticism, Generic criticism, Ideological criticism, Metaphor criticism, and Pentadic criticism! In that order! 

If you are a student at Longwood interested in studying rhetoric, or a student anywhere that wants to follow my journey in understanding the foundations of rhetoric, feel free to check out my posts. I will be posting bi-weekly, and whenever my professor (Dr. Elif Guler!!!!) requests me to.

I will try to relate this material to current events that interest me, to show how rhetoric can be used practically, in every day scenarios. There is something to be said about the rhetorical situation in mass media, and in controversy. I am interested in exploring how rhetoric works in this century.

My dream is to attend law school after my undergraduate degree, so rhetoric is something I am not only interested in, but very passionate about. The study of rhetoric can spark actual change in the world, which is what I intend to do.

That is it for now! Cya next time

~ Charleigh

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.