Book Review:

Bless Me, Ultima -Rudolfo Anaya

Bless my book recommendation

Bless me, Ultima, is a book about a young boy named Antonio and his spiritual journey with his mentor, Ultima.  A curandera. The book’s main conflict is self v.s self.  Tony struggles with his identity because he wants to please his mother and become a farmer priest; but he wants to fulfill his father’s dream of moving to California.  He struggles with being Latino and only being able to speak Spanish unlike most of his classmates; he struggles with his faith in a Christian God; furthermore, he struggles being fine with who he is and what he does.

I think the book is very well written.  It may very well be my favorite book from forward on.  I felt very connected to the characters, the scenery was beautiful.  The characters felt really realistic too.  A lot of times you read a book about kids in elementary/middle school and people say it’s unrealistic for them to be cursing or be vulgar but it really isn’t, so I always appreciate a little vulgarity in school settings, because again; it is realistic.  One thing I think I would have liked more though is character descriptions of the major side characters, just to know that I imagined the characters correctly.  I feel like the book could have been more distressing considering it’s banned.  I expected a lot more disturbing imagery and actual occult beliefs being presented and agreed with.  Just for the sake of the book earning the ban.

How does this influence or connect to identity? From the very start of this book the main character, Antonio, struggles with his identity. He is stuck between being a priest and being a “ranchero”. because he cannot do both. He struggles with his belief in God because he has seen the golden carp, a pagan god. He struggles because he lives in a heavily catholic community and to believe otherwise is to bring shame. Even though he struggles, he has a guide who helps him. Her name is Ultima, and despite the rude words she receives for her own identity, she never falters and teachers Antiono not to falter either. This book is good for people struggling with themselves and you should give it a read if you ever feel like that.