Integration of Physics and Chemistry

The priority of the department is to uphold the academic values of a well-rounded education. Knowing this, the program requirements involve a good foundation in both Physics and Chemistry. In the pursuit of my chemistry minor, many skills were taught through the similar methods of practice, reteaching, and experimentation. With the strength of the chemistry and physics faculty, biology majors at Longwood are reared well in terms of multi-disciplinary scientific knowledge.

Document A shows the synthesis between analytical chemistry and plant biology. The research conducted in Quantitative Analysis (CHEM 350) was prepared for the Research Symposium of Fall 2022. Our research focused on the most efficient methods of evaluating nitrate content in aqueous media. In order to measure these values, we developed novel processes utilizing reactions and filters in ways that are not usually used for such purposes. Knowledge of physics was also necessary to understand the physical chemistry of absorption spectra and its integrations with the chemistry of biological substances such as chlorophyll and anthocyanins. To learn more, please view Document A in the section below.

Document B is a group review from Organic Chemistry (2) (CHEM 214) that described the process necessary to develop a bromoparaben that was still an effective microbial agent while discouraging interactions with the estrogen receptor. Important biochemistry was introduced that reinforced cellular signaling and regulatory mechanisms within microorganisms. It was also an introductory experience for me showing the true biological applications of organic chemistry and served as an important introduction to biochemical thinking. The group review paper was assigned as a means of documenting our findings throughout the semester-long experiment and introduced me to MIC style assays. Although a simple assignment in comparison to other Documents cited on my site, the actual process of working through the experiment proved to inspire my love for the biochemical workings of life and encourage my passion to explore these ideas further. In addition, it urged me to forgive and forget the resentment I held in my heart for my chemistry classes and understand that although I was not academically achieving the standards I put myself to, I was still learning and growing as a biologist no matter what. To read more, please look at Document B in the section below.

My highest achieving synthesis in my academic career has been Document C, my full review paper of the consequences presented when pharmaceutical wastewater goes improperly treated. Ultimately the paper had many strengths and allowed for many avenues of exciting exploration, but the most poignant for this subheading is the experience I had selecting which information was necessary and which information was not. In pursuing clarity I had to ensure I understood the interactions between the chemistry that is the root of the problem (the inadequate filtration methods available for pharmaceutical wastewater), the biology of the consequences as characterized by environmental population differences, physiological changes, and other ecological and developmental footprints, and the physics behind the solutions, such a the civic feasibility of the proposed novel filtration methods in the urban landscape and their optimizations for lower income materials that remain stable for the necessary scale. To learn more, please read the review at Document C below.

Document A: Poster, Determination of Nitrate in Aqueous Media

Document B: Laboratory Paper, Laboratory Report for CHEM 214

Document C: A Review of the Consequences and Prevention of…

"Chance is the first step you take, luck is what comes afterwards." -Amy Tan