Wednesday, August 8th
3:30pm-5pm: Book Discussion Forum in the Greenwood Library
- Come for a chocolate treat and discuss Henrietta Lack’s life, her impact on science and society, and her family’s turbulent search for answers.
Friday, August 17th
3:30pm-5pm: Reception with the family of Henrietta Lacks in the Greenwood Library
- David “Sonny” Lacks and Kim Lacks, the son and granddaughter of Henrietta Lacks, will be available for greetings and discussions from 4pm-5pm in the Atrium of Greenwood Library. This event is only open to faculty and staff. Refreshments will be served.
7:30pm: First Year Reading Experience Formal Presentation
- Dr. David Magill will moderate a discussion with Sonny Lacks and Kim Lacks in Jarman Auditorium. The family will discuss Henrietta’s story, their personal experiences, working with Rebecca Skloot, impacts on the medical field and much more. A question and answer period will be open to the audience at the end of discussion.
- Due to limited seating in Jarman, a reception and simulcast viewing area will be held in Hiner 207 for faculty/staff. The reception will be open at 7pm.
9:00pm: Book signing with the Lacks family in the Jarman lobby. Open to the campus community.
Saturday, August 18th
12:15pm: First Year Reading Experience Panel
- Dr. Chris McGee will moderate an expert panel regarding the First Year Reading Experience. Each panel member will speak for 10 minutes from the perspective of their given field. Panel members include Dr. Amorette Barber (cell biology/oncology), Dr. Larissa Fergeson (civil rights), Dr. Jamie Riley (diversity), and Dr. Monika Markowitz (medical ethics – VCU). Q&A will be taken from the audience at the conclusion of the panel.
- A simulcast location will be open to faculty/staff in Hiner 207 or Blackwell Hall (with students) during this session.