Log in
01
December

Work Samples

Written by Kathryn Moran. Comments Off on Work Samples Posted in:

The three disciplines I chose are Children’s Literature, Lutheranism, and Education. While Lutheranism might seem like the discipline that is the odd man out, all of these can be interconnected and have many similarities. I placed asterisks on the sub categories that I really enjoy and have some experience in. Under Lutheranism, there are different sects of Lutherans and I am a part of the ELCA. I work at an ELCA affiliated camp over the summer and will be attending an ELCA seminary in the fall. Working within the church has allowed me some amazing insight into some of the positive things of the church but also some of the deficiencies.
I also chose Education, specifically Special Education because that was my concentration and previous choice for field of study. I worked for a year in an after school care for children with special needs. This was an incredibly rewarding and eye-opening experience but made me realize that some of these programs are underfunded.
Children’s Literature is my minor and I am particularly interested in Diversity of Children’s literature. As I’ve come to study children’s literature more, there is a severe lack of diversity within the genre. Many books are full of characters that are white, straight, and abled.
My goal as a pastor will be to develop a curriculum that will allow for children with special needs to experience and fully understand programs such as communion and confirmation.