Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my online teaching portfolio! Above there are links to my classroom management, student teaching and practicum experiences, resume,  references, and teaching philosophy.  I have also provided sample lessons and units I have written and implemented.

About Me

I grew up in Centreville, Virginia and graduated from Centreville High School in Fairfax County. Longwood University provided an excellent program that helped encourage my love and passion for teaching. I earned my undergraduate degree in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Elementary Education and Middle School Social Studies Education. I graduated with my degree from Longwood University in the Spring of 2020.

During my time at Longwood I completed two practicums and a semester of student teaching. My first practicum placement was at Grange Hall Elementary in Chesterfield County in a 5th grade classroom. I created and implemented a small group math lesson, and a whole group Book Talk. My second practicum placement was in a 6th grade classroom at Nottoway Intermediate in Nottoway County. This classroom included students with special needs. I created and implemented small group and whole group lessons across several subject areas. I worked on tutoring a students in literacy, and another on their behavior.

I  had the opportunity to work in two different placements for my student teaching semester. I started in a 7th grade social studies classroom at Matoaca Middle School. I worked with honors students, as well as general population classes, and I taught a unit on the Roaring 20s. My second placement was in  Kindergarten Classroom at Enon Elementary School. My Kindergarten class had several students who were considered English Language Learners. Unfortunately, I was unable to start working with the class in person due to Covid-19 pandemic. However I was still able to assist my Cooperating Teacher in distance learning, and I created an Integrated Unit about the Weather.

This summer I will start working towards my Masters degree in Special Education from Longwood University. I am anticipating finishing this degree by Spring 2021.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at mariacgiarrusso@gmail.com