Personal Statement

Starting at such a young age, I’ve always wanted to pursue a career in the medical field, whether it be as a nurse, a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, even a surgeon at one point. This was because I’ve always been interested in the anatomy of the human body. It fascinated me how the body works and what really goes on inside the body. I also have always been eager to help people. For the longest time growing up, I wanted to help people as a registered nurse, but later realized that wasn’t for me. Now, I want to help others as an occupational therapist, specifically for kids with special needs. This desire to become an OT began when I first heard inspirational stories about the OT that my cousin went to as a child. My cousin has a mental disability called Velocardiofacial Syndrome which is a defect in chromosome 22. This syndrome effects your developmental skills as well as causing extreme learning disabilities, anxiety, and also health problems. My cousin was born with this syndrome and has struggled with it all 30 years of her life. At a young age, she went to an occupational therapist to help learn better motor and psychological skills. My cousin and her parents fell in love with the occupational therapist. The OT was not only knowledgable, but she made an impact on my cousin’s life by making her feel special. My cousin built a strong connection with her OT and she was able to utilize the skills she was taught by her OT. Knowing this story and being so close with my cousin has only made me want to become an occupational therapist even more.

I believe I would be a great occupational therapist for special needs kids because of the love and compassion I have for those in need. I am a hard worker, I care, I am determined, I am strong, and I love to learn. I believe these traits are perfect to become an occupational therapist. I want to help others, therefore I will because of my eager, willing, excited, and determined personality. I believe I will become an occupational therapist due to my strong-willed mindset and experience.