Journal #3

Since my last journal entry I have learned that I am more capable then I see myself as. When I first entered this position I was very nervous and shy and afraid to share my opinion. But I have learned/realized that they want me to participate and share what I have to say. What really got me out of my shell was running the Institutional Advancement booth at the freshman orientation. The first day I was with another coworker in the office but for the next 3 days I was by myself. This forced me to be more open and energetic, which is exactly what I needed. My job at freshman orientation was to get people excited and willing to participate. By doing so I needed to get past my fears. Thankfully though, the challenges that I face are getting less and less. While I’m not afraid of most things, now I am just afraid to bother others. One example is needing to print something. The computer I was given is not hooked up to a printer so I need to find someone in the office to help me but I feel bad bothering them about something little when I feel they have more important things to do. All of these experiences are helping me though because I’m learning first hand that while I’m not particularly on the same level of the others in the office, we are equals. It should be common knowledge but this internship has made me realize that I want a job where everyone is equal to each other. It’s also helping me realize that while I don’t have a set career picked out yet, I know that I want to look for one that has this same atmosphere and concept. I love that the people working in this office are so close to the donors/clients. It is a special kind of relationship and I hope that the job that I get is similar in that sense.