Journal #1

This internship is in the Institutional Advancement Office. I will be assisting several of the workers in the office so my duties will vary throughout the weeks I am there. The more simple things that I have been doing and will continue to do are writing thank you notes to the donors of Longwood. Even though this seems like such a simple and miniscule task, it is one of the most important because the advancement takes pride in their personal relationships with the many donors seeing how the gifts they give have a big impact on the Longwood community. Some of the other things I have done is stuff and send out event invitations as well as make the place cards for the event. I have also started a sample book of the all the invites and work that has been created in the office. I will continue to add to the as I go throughout the internship. I have also helped research other schools philanthropic history to see if we are able to compare ourselves to them. There are other projects that have been mentioned but have not been in detail. I will use my skill of interpersonal communication throughout this internship. I will also use my skills of multitasking, improvising, and quick learning to succeed and do my best while filling this position. I really hope to gain from this internship, being assertive. I always am very timid in new environments and I feel like I miss out on opportunities because I am afraid to speak up. The second thing I am not missing but I feel like I need to refine and make better. My communication skills are good but I hope that this internship pushes me to be more confident when speaking with others because this skill is not where I wish it was.