Foundation & Pillar Courses

Foundation Level Course:

Bodies and Citizens (Inquiry into Citizenship, Fall 2018): Dr. Dudley-Shotwell’s course on citizenship was the most eye-opening course I have ever taken. In this class, we studied controversial topics such as race, gender, and sexuality. We frequently had class discussions, and had several short presentations.

Pillar Level Courses:

Virginia Literature (Historic and Contemporary Insights, Spring 2019): While I have always enjoyed reading, this English course pushed me to explore different types of literature and analyze their cultural significance to Virginia. We studied the works of Virginia writers such as John Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and Edgar Allen Poe. These works ranged from journals to novels to poetry.  ENG 215 Final essay

Issues in Theatre (Aesthetic Expressions, Fall 2018): Theatre has been a passion of mine ever since I was in elementary school, so taking a theatre class my first semester at Longwood really helped me with the transition from high school to college. I went into this class already knowing a lot about theatre, but this class challenged me to learn even more about the craft that I love so much. In Profesor Campbell’s Theatre 101 class, I studied the genres, history, and important people of theatre. At the end of the semester I presented a” mock-up” set design for one of my favorite Broadway musicals.

International Beginners Language & Culture (Global Citizenship, Fall 2018): This lower level spanish class was one of the biggest challenges I faced academically during my first year at Longwood. The class was taught as an “immersion” course which meant that no English was ever spoken in the classroom. The most important thing I can take out of this class was figuring out how to learn independently. My final grade in the class may not have been perfect- but I worked extremely hard for it. Attached is a link to a presentation I gave for this class.

The American Political System (Human Behavior and Social Institutions, Fall 2019): This introductory level Political Science class was the highlight of my semester. It had me consider changing my major. During this class I got to work on a political issue near and dear to my heart. For the “DEMOS” project I had to pitch a political issue then work with teammates to research and present our project. It was one of the most engaging projects I have ever worked on. Below is a picture of my poster advocating for my issue, which was the importance of bringing back home economics in schools.

Intermediate International Language & Culture (World Language Perspectives, Spring 2019): Unlike my previous Spanish class at Longwood, I thrived in this class. My professor this semester taught by having us immerse ourselves in the language and culture while still using the safety net of occasionally speaking in or comparing things to English in order to help us understand. This helped me understand the language well enough that some of my other classmates asked if I was fluent. Since this class I have been able to engage in limited conversations with native Spanish speakers. Attached is a link to a PowerPoint presentation I gave in this class.

Costa Rica – Ecotourism and Sustainability (Global Citizenship, Winter Intersession 2019-2020): Please refer to the Study Abroad section of the Reflections tab located on the menu bar. Below is a collage of wildlife I found while studying abroad for this course.

Applied Statistics (Quantitative Perspectives, Fall 2019): Sometimes classes teach you something other than the course objectives. This class taught me that taking care of my own well being was more important than a letter grade. Not only had it been a very long time since I took entry level statistics, but my two professors had drastically different teaching styles and used different rules and terminology. Since I struggled to keep up with my professor and process information in class, I ended up teaching myself the majority of the material. The artifact for this course is a report that I wrote.

PDF Hottinger Stats report 1

A Sustainable Brain for Global Change (Behavioral Perspectives): This course was very unique in that it was an environmental science class taught from a psychology perspective. We also spent class time having discussions and working on projects instead of having lectures. We spent the majority of the class building on a cumulative project about eliminating disposable plastic water bottle waste on Longwood’s campus. This project will exceed our class and the campaign will be going into effect during the fall semester of 2020 when we are able to return to Longwood’s campus. Attached is a link to the survey I helped design to collect data on water bottle usage.

Introduction to Programming (Quantitative Reasoning): This course was very different than my other classes at Longwood, but I certainly enjoyed it. Even though I took an introductory programming course in High School, this class proved to be a challenge anyways. While it does not directly tie in to my major or minor, it helped me improve my time management and public speaking skills. Below is a screenshot of a short program I wrote in this class.